What are children and young people services?
Services for children and young people can cover both health, education and social care and are usually from birth to 18 years of age. However this can be extended up to 25 years of age for young people with a special educational need and disability.
The responsibility for commissioning the full range of services for children and young people sits with a number of organisations.
Richmond CCG is responsible for commissioning:
- Therapy services
- audiology (excluding neonatal screening)
- occupational therapy
- speech and language therapy
- community paediatric services including safeguarding and the children's community nursing service
- child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) tier 3 as part of a south-west-London-wide contract
- Spot purchasing for complex assessments
- Pathways, planning and clinical service developments for maternity and acute paediatrics working with the sector leads
Richmond Council is responsible for commissioning:
- Parenting programmes
- Social care
- Education psychology
- School health
Richmond CCG and Richmond Council jointly commission:
- Speech and language therapy
- Home Start
- Risky behaviour programme
- Young carers work
- Primary mental health workers
NHS England is responsible for commissioning:
- Health visiting (this will transfer to the Council in October 2015)
- Child immunisation
- Screening – neonatal screening and new born hearing programme
- Specialist commissioning such as child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) Tier 4
Richmond CCG commissions services from a range of providers including the NHS, private and the voluntary sector. We also commission individual spot purchase assessments and placements.
Our main community health contract is with Hounslow Richmond Community Heathcare NHS Trust and for CAMHS is with South West London St Georges Mental Health NHS Trust.
Other providers include Achieving for Children (Richmond and Kingston Community Interest Company), the Carers Hub and other voluntary sector providers.
Read our current plans to improve services for children and young people, including the refreshed transformation plan.