What are mental health services?
Mental health services support and treat people with a mental illness. Mental health services can be provided by your GP, in the community, in your own home or in a hospital.
Mental health services in Richmond are delivered using a multi-disciplinary approach, calling upon the skill and expertise of a number of different disciplines and teams. This can include GPs, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists and nurses.
Our plans for mental health services in Richmond
We work together with the three providers of mental health services in Richmond to make sure services are the best they can be:
- South West London & St George's Mental Health NHS Trust,
- East London NHS Foundation Trust
- Richmond borough Mind.
Our current plans to improve services are set out in our joint mental health strategies implementation plan.
Outcomes based commissioning for mental health services
We have been developing an outcomes based approach and contract for community mental health over the last two years and in December 2014 extended this approach to include mental health services.
The scope of services will include inpatient, crisis and community services across health and social care for adult mental health and substance misuse services.
An outcomes framework for mental health was developed last year based on engagement with service users, carers and stakeholders. In addition engagement has taken place with existing health and social care providers around commissioning and contracting intentions to develop an outcomes based approach for mental health.
Richmond CCG and the Council wishes to develop a single outcomes based contract focused on the delivery of agreed mental health patient identified outcomes from April 2017.
We would like to invite providers to a seminar to outline Richmond's vision for an outcomes approach for mental health and the next steps in developing this with providers of mental health services.
Market engagement workshop
Clarendon Hall, York House, Twickenham, 1pm – 3pm
Our intention will be to select one or more most capable providers to work collaboratively to achieve the outcomes identified by Richmond service users and carers and which supports:
- Service innovation – a new model of care designed by commissioners, clinicians, providers, users and carers and other key stakeholders which drives integration across our health and social care system to deliver quality outcomes for patients/service users and carers.
- Contractual innovation – the procurement of an outcomes based contract, which providers will be responsible clinically and financially for mental health services users who live in or are registered with a GP in Richmond
- Improved value for money – better outcomes and improved quality delivered by a contract that incentivises a shift of resources to where they are needed most, complete with a shift in our local culture so that providers and commissioners work more effectively to a common aim.
The next step to introduce outcomes based contracts in Richmond is to identify the providers who choose, and are to be included in the mental health outcomes based contract and meet the agreed criteria.
The market engagement meeting will share the criteria that current and new providers of mental health services in Richmond will be assessed on to identify the most capable providers to go forward and work collaboratively to define a new innovative model of care and pathways to deliver the outcomes.
The agenda and other documentation will be uploaded shortly.
If you are provider and would like to attend this event, please RSVP by email to Annie Harris: email@example.com.